Buildings & Energy
Did you know that nearly half of Anchorage’s emissions come from our buildings and energy use? Below are some resources to help us reduce this number.
Take Action: Here are the suggested actions from the panelists at the Buildings & Energy event on Jan 28th, 2021.
- Reach out to your elected leaders to share your climate action priorities.
- Use the tools we already have access to and add energy efficient measures on a regular basis.
- Contact a solar provider and get a free assessment of your home.
- Write a letter to Governor Dunleavy asking him to lead the effort in Alaska to establish a statewide green bank that will design and market affordable loans for building owners to make their homes and businesses more energy efficient, and to install rooftop solar.
- Help Bring Affordable Clean Energy Financing to Alaska – Learn more about the Green Bank Legislation (thanks to REAP)
- Moderated by Shaina Kilcoyne, Energy and Sustainability Manager, Solid Waste Services, Municipality of Anchorage. Presentation Slides
- Mike Spencer, Energy Program Manager, Research & Rural Development, Alaska Housing Finance – Presentation Slides
- Stephen Trimble, Founder and CEO, Arctic Solar Ventures – Presentation Slides
- Chris Rose, Founder and Executive Director, REAP – Presentation Slides
Buildings & Energy Resources
- Cold Climate Housing Research Center | Healthy & Sustainable Housing for Alaska
- SIP Manufacturer | Alaska Insulated Panels | United States – Ron Burkhardsmeier, energy efficient/manufactured in AK.
- Architecture in Alaska | Alaska Business Magazine article from Feb 2020
- How to Save a Planet episode |Dec. 10, 2020: “Breaking Buildings’ Addiction to Fossil Fuels”
- Solarize Anchorage – a joint effort between the Alaska Center and the Alaska Center for Energy and Power (ACEP) at the University of Alaska to make residential and small commercial solar photovoltaic (PV) energy systems more accessible and affordable for homeowners and commercial property owners in the Anchorage Municipality
- How to Design a Net Zero Home – article in Architectural Digest
- Alaska C-PACE – Alaska’s Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy Program
- Watch the discussion of Buildings & Energy discussion held on 1-28-21
- Air to Water Air Source Heat Pumps
- Pumped Hydro
Resources available from the Anchorage Library
- 150 Best New Eco Home Ideas by Francesc Zamora Mola
- Building a Sustainable Home: Practical Green Design Choices for Your Health, Wealth, and Soul by Melissa Rappaport Schifman
- DIY Solar Projects: Small Projects to Whole-Home Systems: Tap into the Sun by Eric W. Smith
- The Doable Off-Grid Homestead: Cultivating a Simple Life By Hand – On a Budget by Stewart Stronger
- Eco House Plans edited by Anna Minguet
- Energy Saver Kit – contains an energy usage meter and instructions so you can monitor how much energy is being used by the appliances in your home.
- The Energy Wise Home: Practical Ideas for Sustainable Living by Jeff Dondero
- A Handbook of Sustainable Building Design and Engineering: An Integrated Approach to Energy, Health, and Operational Performance 2nd Edition Edited by Dejan Mumovic and Mat Santamouris
- Mudgirls Manifesto: Handbuilt Homes, Handcrafted Lives by Mudgirls Natural Building Collective
- Reinventing Green Building: Why Certification Systems Aren’t Working and What We Can Do About It by Jerry Yudelson
- Simply Living Well: A Guide to Creating a Natural, Low-Waste Home by Julia Watkins
- Sustainable Home: Practical Projects, Tips, and Advice for Maintaining a More Eco-Friendly Household by Christine Liu