Climate Action Plan Sector Series
Alaska Common Ground is continuing our conversation about Anchorage’s Climate Action Plan (CAP) with a series exploring the sectors found in the CAP and going into more depth on how to engage our community in working together towards the goals found in the CAP. All interested Alaskans are welcome to join us.
- Events listed below and here. Video available for already held events.
- Suggested resources list for further reading and information
Alaska Common Ground is sponsoring this series about Climate Change and Anchorage’s Climate Action Plan because we feel it is essential that we, as citizens, must engage to address this global crisis on a local level. In this 3.5 min video, Will Grant clearly and succinctly describes the 4 levels of action that serve to influence others and effect change.
We are all consumers and live in a “throw away” society , yet when it comes to waste, “there is no away”. An efficient and integrated solid waste management system in Anchorage is achievable if private citizens, businesses and government work together to promote consumption that is sustainable while reducing the waste stream, increasing recycling, community composting, and implementing energy collection from our solid waste.
MOA Sector Goal: “Develop an efficient and innovative solid waste management system that promotes sustainable consumption, recycling, and waste reduction.”
If your bathtub was overflowing, would you get a bucket or turn off the tap?
Moderated by Suzanna Caldwell, Recycling Coordinator, Municipality of Anchorage.
- Anita Nelson, Executive Director, Alaskans for Litter Prevention and Recycling
- Jenn Gordon, Blue Market Alaska
- Jodie Anderson, MatSu Experimental Farm, UAF Cooperative Extension
MOA Sector Goal: “Optimize energy use in Municipality of Anchorage (MOA) facilities to save energy and money, and work with private residential and commercial building owners to support safe, healthy and affordable buildings”
Panelists and Moderator:
- Moderated by Shaina Kilcoyne, Energy and Sustainability Manager, Solid Waste Services, Municipality of Anchorage.
- Mike Spencer, Energy Program Manager, Research & Rural Development, Alaska Housing Finance – Presentation Slides
- Stephen Trimble, Founder and CEO, Arctic Solar Ventures – Presentation Slides
- Chris Rose, Founder and Executive Director, REAP – Presentation Slides
Topics included an update on Anchorage’s green energy work, an Anchorage Green Bank, Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy (CPACE), solar for homes and businesses, and energy saving ideas for home and business owners.
MOA Sector Goal: “Improve walkability and connect neighborhoods that employ mixed-use development and diverse transportation options.”
- Moderated by Pierce Schwalb, Energy & Sustainability Coordinator, Solid Waste Services, Municipality of Anchorage. Alaska Common Ground_2.25.21 – Schwalb
- Sean Skaling, Manager of Business and Sustainable Program Development at Chugach Electric Association Skaling-Chugach EV presentation 2-25-2021
- Michelle McNulty, Director Planning Department, Municipality of Anchorage Common Grounds Presentation_Transportation and land use_2.26.21 – McNulty
- Bart Rudolph, Transit Planning Manager, Municipality of Anchorage 20210225 Transit_Climate Action Plan – Bart
- Joni Wilm, Senior Transportation Planner, Bicycle & Pedestrian Coordinator, Municipality of Anchorage Common Ground Presi. Joni
MOA Sector Goal: “Support local, sustainable food systems.” We will have the following presenters give a short introduction to how their work supports the Muni’s goal.
- Moderated by Micah Hahn, UAA and UAA/APU Books of the Year.
- Edible Alaska – Amy O’Neill Houck
- Arctic Harvest Deliveries – Kyla Byers
- Alaska Food Hub – Robbi Mixon
- Yarducopia (a program of Alaska Community Action on Toxics) – Nick Riordan
- Anchor Gardens – Cindee Karns
- AK Pioneer Fruit Growers Association – Mark Wolbers
- Space Farming Institute – Lorrie Irwin
- Anchorage Urban Sustainability Farm (Heritage Land Bank) – Shelley Rowton
- ANTHC – Jackie Qatalina Schaeffer
- Becoming an Outdoors Woman Program Alaska – Katelyn Zonneville
- The Alaska Hunting Collective – Jason Croft (email Jason for more information)
- Intertribal Agriculture Council – Tikaan Galbreath
- UAF Cooperative Extension Service; Health Home & Family Development Program – Sarah Lewis
- AgAlaska, Alaska Village Initiatives – Ronalda Angasan
- Alaska Food Policy Council – Rachael Miller
We are grateful to our sponsors who have made this series possible.
And to our partners: